Pages

Saturday, June 23, 2012

going "no 'poo"

curious about the title? Haha...the first time I heard it I was thinking the same thing I'm sure you're thinking...bathroom talk. Well I guess it does have to do with the bathroom but not the toilet part.

It's the term for "no shampoo". My friend told me about it a few weeks ago and since then I've been pondering whether it was a good idea or not.

The gist is that instead of using shampoo, you wash your hair with watered down baking soda and instead of conditioner you use watered down apple cider vinegar. Sounds weird. But then I thought about it, and the benefits. Less expensive (not my main concern since I usually get shampoo for like $2), less chemicals and cancer-causing crap touching my body (somewhat concerning), and the main reason for me - to get my hair UN-dependant on being shampoo'd every day and waking up with greasy hair every morning. "no-poo" is supposed to get rid of that, after a two week to two month adjustment period.

You can read the specifics on the Simple Mom blog here. She explains it all well, so check it out there if you're interested in the details. And if you google the term "no poo" you'll get lots of other articles pop up too, I'm sure!

Today I got brave and tried it, and it was a lot better than I imagined!  I made up the baking soda/water and apple cider vinegar/water mixtures in empty Coffeemate flavored creamer containers so it's easy once I'm in the shower. I was thinking the baking soda water would be gritty and hard to rinse out but it really wasn't bad at all! My hair was LITERALLY "squeaky clean". Then I was brave again and poured a bit of the vinegar on the ends. It was stinky at the time but once I rinsed it out I couldn't smell it anymore. My next skeptical thought was the combing process....I was doubtful that my hair would feel smooth and comb easily after my shower. I was surprised again! It felt like it always does, or maybe even better!

I let my hair air dry today, and it dried just like it always does. I wouldn't even know the difference. Except I think it's maybe even a little more shiny than normal.

So there you go. I think I might just stick with this! My ultimate goal is to be able to go at least 2 days between washes if I need to. Right now that's not really an option! :)

2 comments:

  1. Surprisingly, in the 1990s, women want to own comfortable in designer labels, so you see a lot of women carrying lanvin handbag become quite popular, the grunge era upward trend. The 2000 when Gunpa, woman or want comfort, but designers have found a way to use the material, not only comfortable, but more targeted to fit, so again, designer lanvin bags again boarded their peak. Comparing said: "You get what you pay", bags and many women think that when it comes to the long duration of the brand lanvin bag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard about this before I read your blog post and was determined to try it as well. I was just waiting to empty out my bottle of shampoo before I did. It's been my first week now of 'no poo' and it's great! I would never have thought it would work so well! I was so surprised how squeaky clean my hair got and how smooth it was to comb out after too! I think also that my hair looks just a little bit nicer!

    ReplyDelete